- What are some safety concerns?
- How does mould spread?
- Do I need to move out of my home during the restoration process?
There are often health risks associated with finding mould in your property, including allergy-like respiratory symptoms, skin irritation, cold and flu symptoms, headaches, nausea and mould-induced asthma. It’s important to know the causes of the mould growth before it occurs, so you can work to avoid damage to both your health and your facility.
For moulds to grow and reproduce, they need a damp environment and an organic food source, such as cellulose, which is found in many building materials such as wood, drywall, ceiling tiles, and other household materials such as carpeting and fabrics. Mould can also grow in a home’s HVAC system, gutters, roof, foundation, and other areas where the environment encourages mould growth.
Depending on the extent of damage, your insurance representative can help you answer this question. Ultimately, however, this is a decision you must reach on your own. Some things you may want to consider are safety concerns, odours, electricity, and disruption as a result of the equipment, work and noise that may be necessary to complete the restoration process in your home. If vacating your premises during the process, consider forwarding your mail to your temporary residence; stopping your newspaper and other deliveries; notifying your utility company, cable company, etc., of the temporary suspension of services during the restoration process.